Ah summer, we know it all too well here in Florida! This is the beginning of Barefoot Herbals summer survival staples that will help beat back this crazy season.
If you plan on leaving the house at any time, you should be armed with a great all natural bug spray. There is nothing worse than going to a BBQ, or any outdoor event and coming home polka dotted with bites. At our Barefoot Herbals boutique, you can purchase all the ingredients needed to make a safe, organic, all natural, and environmentally safe bug deterrent.
Now, if you do get bitten, then Barefoot Herbals has a great recipe, and again all the ingredients to make an Itchy Rash Salve. This recipe, which you will find below with the others, can also be beefed up with green clay to soothe Poison Ivy, in case you have tangled too close to Mother Nature. During your explorations you may come across Stinging Nettles, and these can be a very annoyingly painful plant. The Barefoot Herbals Stinging Nettle Relief Spray will help to stave off the burn.
So, we have you covered on the outside protection front, now let’s talk inner protection. Florida heat can zap all your fluids, and a great way to ensure you are staying hydrated is to fancy up your water. Water=Humans, it’s what we are most comprised of, and therefore essential. Plain water can get boring, but before you pick up a sugary, dehydrating beverage, we have some infused water recipes for you to try. These recipes will keep the water exciting, and are very beneficial to your health.
If you happen to go too long without hydrating or over exert yourself, please recognize these symptoms of heat exhaustion; Confusion, Dizziness, Fainting and/or Fatigue, Nausea, Headache, Muscle and/or Abdominal Cramps, Profuse Sweating, Rapid Heartbeat, and Dark Colored Urine. Remember Man & Woman’s best friends too! When experiencing heat exhaustion dogs will pant, have excessive drooling with an increased body temperature.
We at Barefoot Herbals hope that this series will help you start your summer off safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable.
Barefoot Herbals Nettle Rash Recipe
- Apply up to 2 neat drops of lavender over the stung area ASAP.
- Mix together 5 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of chamomile with 1 TBS of coconut oil. Smooth this over the rash.
Barefoot Herbals Insect Deterrent Blend
- Mix 16 drops of Thyme, 32 drops of Lemongrass, 16 drops of Lavender, and 16 drops of Peppermint.
- Add all of the essential oils to 2 tablespoons of Witch Hazel, 1 cup Aloe Vera Juice, and 1 cup of water.
- Add combined ingredients to a spray bottle, and shake well before use.
Barefoot Herbals Itchy Out Salve Recipe
- Prepare the infused oil by placing ½C Chickweed, ½ C Plantain, ¼C Marshmallow Root, and ¼C Calendula Flowers in a mason jar and add olive or avocado oil to 2” above the herbs.
- Stir to ensure all the herbs are coated.
- Let sit 6-8 weeks, and then strain out the herbs through a cheese cloth. Place 6oz of infused oil in a 10-12oz jar. Old salsa jars are great for making salve at home.
- Add 3oz coconut oil and 1oz beeswax.
- Place in oven on 200 degrees, stir frequently with a popsicle stick until melted. I use a popsicle stick since beeswax can turn to concrete on a spoon. The popsicle stick is easy to discard.
- Remove from oven, and continue to stir frequently until the mixture cools, and becomes cloudy.
- Add 15 drops each of Chamomile, and Lavender essential oils.
- Put on the lid and allow to sit overnight, or you can place it in the refrigerator until it hardens. This salve is great on bug bites, stings, and rashes.
Remember all the above ingredients can be purchased at the Barefoot Herbals Shop!
Infused Water Combinations
Energizing Orange and Grape infused water- Slices of orange, and some sliced organic purple grapes left overnight in water will give you a great beverage to take on a hike or to the gym. If infusing overnight, remove the fruit in the morning, you will still have the great flavor left behind. If not, at least leave it for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Detoxifying, and Vitamin C boosting Grapefruit and Rosemary infused water- ½ Red Grapefruit peeled and sliced, and ½ sprig of Rosemary. Infuse for 2 hours at room temperature or up to 24 in the refrigerator. This blend helps detoxify the liver, and gives you a boost of vitamin C. This is great after a late night of enjoying some adult beverages.
Grape, Strawberry, and Lime infused water- 20 small purple grapes halved, 1 organic lime peeled and sliced, and 2 organic strawberries sliced. This recipe is for a large batch. You can use an infusion pitcher if you have one, but if not a regular pitcher will work, just stir once or twice. This is a fruity and refreshing summer blend that can infuse for 8 hours at room temperature or 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Stop by for our next blog in the series: Summer Beach Tips!
by Shawn Riley